Monday, June 13, 2011

Excited for...

I have decided that during this week leading up until I leave I will write about things that I am excited for. 
The first thing I am excited for is a special lady that I met last summer. Due to the strictness in China I have not included her name so that she will be safe :)


Last summer she was the first person to meet us at the airport when we arrived and I could tell she was going to be a lot of fun.  Her English is better than she thinks and her mix ups make it so funny.  On the bus to the camp she asked us if we would like to stop for some "snakes." What she really meant was some snacks but it made for a good laugh for the rest of the summer. "Chinglish" became something that I had to work to understand.  She says that is what she speaks and so do most of the Chinese I met.  It is a mixture of Chinese and English and is always entertaining.  
She was such a life saver last summer.  She traveled around with us everywhere and helped get us out of some sticky situations.  
Along with being super funny and an awesome translator she is also a beautiful woman of God.  She is so humble and hard working.  The entire time we were there she was always trying to learn from us and always asking questions.  She was an awesome person to get to know and I am so excited to get to spend more time with her this summer and maybe karaoke? ;) 
One day when I was sitting with her just talking she pulled this book out of her backpack.  She asked me if I had ever heard of this man. I just laughed.  Being an Asbury student I ave more than heard of C.S. Lewis.  I explained to her that I had heard of him and also read that book.  She told me how she really loved what she had read so far and how wise of a man he was.  It made me smile so much when she pulled that out of her backpack. :) 

All the Chinese Christians I met have such a passion for God's work in their country.  It was awesome to be able to serve alongside that for a summer and receive encouragement from them while also working to encourage them in their work. I think it is safe to say I am getting really excited :)

No comments:

Post a Comment